HUG A HORSE FOR SENIORS
Unbridling Your Brilliance
Hug a Horse Program for Seniors
Reigniting passion, purpose, and possibility in our elderly!
Do you know that 1 in 4 seniors live alone and half of all seniors suffer from isolation due to health related immobility? As more and more seniors (especially women) live alone in special care facilities such as assisted living and nursing homes, there is a need for group activities and programs that are both fun as well as physically and emotionally satisfying for our elderly loved ones.
How Horses Can Help Our Senior Citizens
Equine assisted therapy has been known to help senior adults with a number of physical and psychological benefits. Studies have proven that being in the presence of horses has many therapeutic advantages for seniors struggling with anxiety, depression, loneliness and even cognitive impairments such as Alzheimers and Dementia.
If you’re looking for recreation program ideas for seniors, imagine how your loved one might feel in the company of beautiful horses as friends and companions.
Hug a Horse Program
Our vision is to provide a meaningful social activity for seniors with the opportunity to connect with others, enjoy nature in a rural atmosphere, and interact with horses in a safe environment. We are committed to providing them with an experience that will benefit them physically, emotionally, and mentally.
Hug a Horse is designed for seniors and offers both individuals and group residents:
- An opportunity to socialize,
- Exercise and fresh air,
- A relaxing atmosphere, being surrounded by nature,
- An opportunity to reconnect with horses, or experience the thrill of horses for the first time, and
- Experiencing the well-documented calming effect of animals.
Horse Therapy for Seniors: Hug a Horse Program Benefits
- Increased neck and thoracic spine extension,
- Mobilization of shoulder girdle with increased shoulder flexion,
- Strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder girdle,
- Activation of the balance mechanism while standing,
- Increased strength of the core muscles and the legs,
- Expansion of the rib cage opening the lungs,
- Increased circulation while standing,
- A sense of calm and wellbeing,
- Connecting with other seniors in a safe environment, and
- Sharing stories and memories together.
Hug a Horse Practices/Activities for Elderly may include
- Simple stretches with the horses, even reaching up to the neck of the horse in a hug provides muscle release and builds strength.
- Where appropriate, some yoga poses with the horses (for those with increased mobility).
- Leading a horse with support to build strength and improve circulation.
- Horse painting – expressive arts, music, breathing and calming techniques, movement, story telling, and lots of hugging!
Give the gift of joy, companionship, and creativity to the ones you love today!
Give us a call
Healing Heart Sanctuary
25027 Robertson Crescent
Aldergrove, British Columbia
Don’t miss the opportunity to experience a lasting and sustainable transformation as the horses inspire you to step out of your comfort zone and embrace your best self.